Saturday 22 August 2015

The Challenge - Land's End to John O' Groats


A few weeks ago, some of my friends and I completed the National Three Peak's Challenge. We scaled the three highest mountains in Great Britain, and raised over £1400 for Macmillan Cancer Support. For most of us, this was a massive challenge. Perhaps I will write a post about the challenge soon - but first let me introduce the whole reason that I have started to write this blog. 
The Three Peak's Challenge was an amazing experience, but one that we could not all fully appreciate until our tired, sleep deprived and aching bodies had had the chance to recover after the night in a hotel. I remember very clearly hobbling down to breakfast in the morning (I had injured my knee), sitting down with a well earned fry-up and looking across the table at my boyfriend, Will. Suddenly the magnitude of what we had achieved hit me and it was with glassy eyes that I said, "This is amazing. Can you believe that we have actually done this?"  I remember feeling incredibly proud of our whole team. 

As we were on our way home from Wales on the mini bus (affectionately nicknamed "The Bin"), I decided that I was ready for the next challenge. I thought back to when I was 16 years old, and how I'd heard about some people who had completed the End to End challenge. I'd wanted to do it too. Imagine how much you'd see! At the time, I just didn't believe that I could manage it. Over the years, I had other priorities and never really imagined I would be able to cycle the gruelling 930 miles across the length of Great Britain. So I put that dream away in the proverbial box and hid it away until that day on "The Bin". 

I thought about the next challenge almost obsessively for most of the journey home. By the time we made it back to Kent, I had categorically decided to cycle Land's End to John O'Groats next summer. My wonderful boyfriend Will agreed to be my support driver. And here I am. Blogging my progress! 

I have fair basic fitness but I am not a cyclist. Apart from a few spinning classes and days out on my mountain bike, I have never really done any proper cycling. 
In this blog I will log my training, thoughts, feelings, observations and progress. I will post about all the things I learn on this incredible journey. And, occasionally, I may also post about other fun things that I get up to! 

Happy reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment